The German Arbitration Institute (DIS) was founded on 1 January 1992 as a result of the merger of the German Arbitration Committee e.V. (DAS), founded in 1920, and the German Arbitration Institute (DIS), founded in 1974. The DIS is a registered association with its seat in Berlin.
The DIS has a board of directors consisting of 18 members. It is currently chaired by Herbert Kronke. The membership of the board includes representatives from academia, commerce and the legal profession. The Board of Directors is supported in its work by the Advisory Board.
In addition, working groups on different topics in arbitration serve as a vehicle for experts to express their views on new developments and projects as well as to prepare proposals for discussion.
The main secretariat of the DIS, under the direction of General Secretary Francesca Mazza, is located in Bonn. The DIS has further offices in Berlin and Munich.