Attorney (Rechtsanwalt), admitted 1976; Senior Partner, HARTE-BAVENDAMM Rechtsanwälte (Hamburg); Lecturer and Honorary Professor, University of Osnabrück.
Areas of law
- First State Exam (University of Hamburg), 1973
- Traineeship at Wall Street law firm, 1975
- Second State Exam (University of Hamburg), 1976
- Doctorate (University of Hamburg) 1977
- Associate, Droste (Hamburg), 1977 - 1980
- Visiting Attorney, Freshfields (London), 1979
- Partner, Droste, 1981 - 1999
- Partner, Lovells, 2000-2002
- Partner, Allen & Overy, 2003 - 2008
- Co-Founder of HARTE-BAVENDAMM Rechtsanwälte, 2008.
- Lecturer, Honorary Professor (intellectual property, competition law), University of Osnabrück, 2010 - 2020
- Chair of Committee on Unfair Competition and Trademark Law, GRUR, 1997 - 2018
- Lecturer (intellectual property law), Europa-Kolleg (Hamburg), 1995 - 2002
Thirty cases as arbitrator (ad hoc arbitration under German law; DIS; ICC) including nine cases (ad hoc; DIS; ICC) as chairman of the arbitral tribunal; approximately fifteen cases as counsel/legal representative of a party. Subject matters include technology agreements, long-term supply contracts (especially in the energy sector), general commercial agreements, competition law; IP-related disputes, licensing, software agreements; M&A-related covenants and other post-closing disputes.
- Books and articles on unfair competition (including Harte-Bavendamm/Henning-Bodewig, Gesetz gegen den unlauteren Wettbewerb / Unfair Comepetition Act, 5th ed. 2021), copyright law, trademark law, competition law, software protection and contracts, trade secrets (including Harte-Bavendamm/Ohly/Kalbfus, Geschäftsgeheimnisgesetz / Trade Secrets Act, 2020). A complete list of publications is available at www.harte-bavendamm.de.
- GRUR (German IP Association)